Friday, January 23, 2009

An Etsy Favourite : SugarSpoon


On the chilly night that first opened the box containing this set of hand-crafted earrings from SugarSpoon, I remember being instantly enamoured. I could not have imagined just how intricate and eye catching these earrings were until I saw them for myself! They were cold in my hands from spending the afternoon in the mail box – and they were as light as a pair of snowflakes.


Heather Beauchene is the artisan behind all of the sweet delights that SugarSpoon has to offer. Perhaps the most striking aspect of Heather's jewelry is just how fine each bead is – apparently smaller than any currently manufactured. Each unique set of earrings is crafted from antique seed beads ranging in size from 18/0 to 22/0 per bead (the smallest currently made is 15/0). "I love to work with colour" says Heather, "And the tiny seed beads have given me the chance to do that with out having to set gem stones. I've been using them since I was a teenager."


Heather is a graduate from the Rhode Island School of Design and is currently taking some time away from her job as a bench jeweler and jewelry designer to spend time with her new baby.

Each set of earrings in SugarSpoon's shop is a hybrid of rich, textural color and an artful homage to organic, nature-inspired forms. The set I was given reminds me of delicate, pink coral branches – though a much more tasteful and eco-friendly version of the coral jewelry that has become so fashionable in the past years.


As sugary sweet as this Etsian's style might be, the obstacles Heather has overcome reveal her adamantine spirit. Part of her time away from her jeweler work will be used to help her recover from a tumor. Heather described her illness: "It made me very sick and made my bones dissolve... I'm sort of like the glass man from the movie Amelie right now."



Heather has quite a few plans for the months ahead - "I'm planning a new jewelry line using lots of colour and texture. Weight training to build up my bones again....and lots and lots of Mommy-Baby time!"

Check out Heather's Etsy Shop: SugarSpoon


(and keep an eye out for her new line of wearables!)


Want more info about this Etsy Favourite? Check out Heather's blog: Sweet Sugar's Spoon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment